The International Dark-Sky Association approved the nation’s first dark sky reserve in December of 2018. The 1,416-square-mile reserve includes the communities of Stanley, Ketchum and Sun Valley. It is the 12th such reserve worldwide, and the third largest!
80 Percent of Americans can’t even see the milky way anymore. And yes, pollution is to blame. Our skies are so clouded now that most people will live their entire lives without getting a good look at our amazing galaxy.
The International Dark-Sky Association’s designation requires public and private lands to “possess an exceptional or distinguished quality of night sky, view of the stars and nocturnal environment". The association gave the Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve “Gold Tier” status, its highest ranking of the quality of the night sky.
Upcoming Celestial and Lunar Events:
New Moons 2023: The sky is darkest on New Moon nights, which makes for great stargazing!
- September 15
- October 14
- November 13
- December 12
Full Moons 2023:
- September 29 - Supermoon
- October 28
- November 27
- December 27
Celestial Events 2023:
- October 7 - Draconids Meteor Shower
- October 14 - Annular Solar Eclipse
- October 21, 22 - Orionids Meteor Shower
- October 28 - Partial Lunar Eclipse
- November 4, 5 - Taurids Meteor Shower
- November 17, 18 - Leonids Meteor Shower
- December 13, 14 - Geminids Meteor Shower
- December 21, 22 - Ursids Meteor Shower